Learn how to easily create/manage discounts in Instinct!
Table of Contents
Admin: Discount User Permission
Accounts: Adding & Removing Discounts
Patient Registration: Adding & Removing Discounts
🔐 Admin: Discount User Permissions
Hospital Administrators have the ability to create and manage Discounts in the Admin section, which can then be associated with an Account, Patient, or added directly on the Invoice.
There are two user permissions associated with Discounts: admin_discounts and apply_discounts.
- Users with the admin_discounts permission can view and manage the Discounts section in Admin.
- Users with the apply_discounts permission can view, add, and remove Discounts on the Account, Patient, or Invoice screen. Please note that users without this permission have view-only access to any applied Discounts.
🔐 Admin: Discounts
You can create, edit, and remove discounts within the ‘Discounts’ Admin section. To create a new discount class, simply click + New Discount Class.
A ‘New Discount Class’ pop-up will then appear to include all applicable discount information.
📓 Please Note: The ‘Rate’ saves up to 3 decimals but the percentage will round to 2 decimal places after saving (5.788% will display as 5.79%, for example). The ‘Rate’ must also be greater than 0%.
Once saved, discounts are displayed in the Admin section in alphabetical order with a 3-dot menu available to ‘Edit’ or ‘Delete’.
If you delete a discount, a pop-up warning will appear letting you know the discount will be removed from any associated Accounts, Patients, and current/active Invoices. Past Invoices will not be impacted but if a discount on a past Invoice needs to be modified, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
🚫 Admin: Discount Exclusions
You can also exclude certain Products from discounts by toggling Excluded from Discounts ‘on’ in the Product Admin section.
💸 Accounts: Adding & Removing Discounts
Discounts can be applied to Accounts from the following screens:
A tooltip is also available explaining the impact of this discount.
💡 A few things to keep in mind:
- Adding an Account Discount automatically applies to any current and future Invoices for all associated patients, unless any of the patients have an individual discount set. If a patient has an Individual Discount in addition to an Account Discount, the Individual Discount will trump the Account Discount.
- Please note that although the Account Discount is applied to the patient, the discount amount is not shown on the patient registration screen at this time.
- Editing or removing a discount in the Admin section that’s associated with an Account will only update any current invoices for these patients.
- Past Invoices will never be changed. If a past Invoice needs to be adjusted, please contact us at email@example.com.
➕ Patient Registration: Adding & Removing Discounts
Discounts can be applied to individual Patients via the following screens:
A tooltip is also available explaining the impact of this discount.
💡A few things to keep in mind:
- Adding a discount to a Patient automatically applies this discount to any current and future Invoices. If a patient has an Individual Discount in addition to an Account Discount, the Individual Discount will trump the Account Discount.
- Changing/removing a Patient discount updates any current invoices associated with the patient.
- Past Invoices will never be changed. If you need a past invoice discount updated, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Anyone without the ‘apply_discounts permission’ will have view-only access when looking at the Discount field.
➕ Invoice Screen: Adding, Changing, & Removing Discounts
Please note that only one Discount per Invoice can be added at this time.
Discounts are displayed on the Invoice underneath ‘Subtotal’. To add a new discount, simply click ‘Add Discount’ as shown below.
Once clicked, a new header and row is added to the bottom of the Invoice with a drop-down field to select the discount type.
If a Discount has already been applied to an invoice, you can click ‘Change Discount’ to update the amount.
After the discount is saved, the Invoice displays the discount percentage under the ‘Quantity’ column and the discounted amount in parentheses under the ‘Price’ column. Hovering over the price also displays the discount percentage and dollar amount.
To edit or remove a discount, click the 3-dot menu followed by Change or Remove.
When a Product is excluded from discounts, a tooltip appears when hovering over the line item stating that it is excluded.
📓 Please Note: Discounts cannot be added, changed, or removed from past invoices. If you need a past invoice edited, please contact us at email@example.com.
Manually changing a Discount on an invoice overrides any automatic changes that might be applied to the invoice by updating or removing discounts on the Account or Patient. This means that once you make a manual change to the discount on the Invoice, all changes to the discount for that invoice moving forward will need to be manual through the Invoice screen.
🖨 Invoice PDF: Discounts
Any applicable Discount information is also included on the Invoice PDF:
💡 Invoice: Discounts Tooltip
Discounts calculation information will now display on the bottom of the Invoice screen, next to the total amount information.
📊 Invoice Discounts: Revenue Details Report
This report displays details about any products added to invoices (Product ID, Product Name, Category), the associated provider, Account and Patient details, and any Discount or Tax information along with the total price of the line item.
Report fields with Discount/Tax information include:
- Tax Class – The Tax Class for the product
- Total Tax Amount – The total Tax amount for any product that has an associated Tax Class
- Discount Class – The Discount Class for the product
- Total Discount Amount – The total Discount amount for any product that has an associated Discount class
- Subtotal – This is the price of the product before taxes and discounts are applied
- Total Amount – The total price of an item, taking into account taxes and discounts.
📓 Important Note: Totals are rounded to the nearest hundredth (2 decimal places) for Tax and Discount amounts and any taxes are applied AFTER discount amounts. Please know that rounding may cause small discrepancies with the totals if rounded differently.
💸 Taxes, Non-taxable Sales, and Discounts Report
The Taxes and Discounts report has been updated to include non-taxable sales. This change will be reflected in the report name as well as the report description.
- A new row for Non-taxable Sales has been added to the report and will display on the line above the Totals
- If there are no Non-taxable Sales for the selected reporting period, the Pre-tax Sales column for that row will display $0.00
- The Taxable Sales column has been re-named Pre-Tax Sales to more accurately reflect the column contents, and to avoid confusion with the addition of the Non-taxable Sales row
- The old Taxable Sales column was already showing the pre-tax sales amount for taxable sales, so this will be a name change only and there will be no change to how column contents are calculated
🧠 Feeling confident about what you just read? Test your knowledge with the EMR Discounts Guide Quiz!