Use this helpful guide to learn how to use the text/link to pay feature through Gravity.
💡 ProTip: If you are interested in using this feature, please reach out to Gravity first to get your account set up! This feature is only available to US EMR Hospitals using Gravity.
Table of Contents
➕ Initiating a Payment
A Text/Link to Pay method option will now display in the payments panel when a Payment type is selected. This option is available in the Visit and Account tabs.
- An optional phone number field displays once the Text/Link to Pay method is selected. Clicking into the phone number field displays the phone numbers associated with the selected account so you can easily select a pre-populated phone number option.
- Selecting the “Initiate Transaction” button automatically creates the link to pay.
- If a phone number was entered, a text message with the link will be sent to the phone number associated with the transaction.
- If a phone number was not entered, a link will still be created and you can manually copy the link and paste it into the browser for payment.
- After the transaction is initiated, you have the option to “Copy Link”, “Check Out” (if the patient is currently checked-in, “Print Invoice” or “Print Statement” (depending if you initiated the transaction on the Visit or Account tab), and “New Transaction”.
📩 Pending Transactions
Text/Link to Pay transactions are considered “pending transactions” until the payment has been completed using the generated payment link.
- If a text/link to pay transaction was initiated on the visit tab, it displays beneath the Pending section on the visits tab.
- If a text/link to pay transaction was initiated on the accounts tab, it displays beneath the Pending Transactions section on the accounts tab.
- Each pending transaction includes a tooltip and a 3-dot menu including “Copy Link”, “Send Text”, and “Cancel” options.
- The tooltip displays the created date, status, device, phone number, user that initiated the transaction, and note.
- “Copy Link” option copies the generated payment link to the user’s clipboard.
- “Send Text” option either 1) resends the text message to the associated phone number or 2) if a phone number was not associated, a modal displays and allows a user to enter a phone number to send the transaction.
❌ Canceling Pending Transactions
Pending Text/Link to Pay transactions may be canceled at any point before the transaction has been paid.
Canceling the transaction:
- Removes the transaction from the payments panel.
- Immediately expires the generated payment link.
- If a phone number was associated with the transaction, a text is sent to the phone number stating the transaction was canceled.
💳 Paid Transactions
Once a pending text/link to pay transaction has been paid using the payment link, the transaction moves to the Payments section of the visit tab.
- If the pending transaction was displaying on the accounts tab, the payments applied on the account also display under the Payments section on each visit tab the account payoff was applied to. It can take up to 30 seconds for the payment to move to the Payments section once it is paid.
- After the text/link to pay payment is complete and moved to the Payments section, the payment becomes a normal Gravity transaction and follows the current rules for Gravity transaction. This includes the Gravity status showing as pending for 15 minutes. Once 15 minutes has passed and the transaction settles with Gravity, the status in the tooltip updates to Settled. The payment may only be voided during that 15 minute time period before it has settled, as it currently works.
*Note: We do not have control over the text message content or payments page that displays when completing payment. Those are controlled by Gravity.
📝 Analytics Reports
Pending Text/Link to Pay transactions will not display on any analytics reports until the transaction has been paid.
⚖️ Legal Consent
In order to comply with paragraph 3 of SMS Addendum, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991 and other laws applicable to SMS communications, you will need to obtain consent from each customer before beginning to use this service with them. The following paragraph meets the criteria of those laws and was agreed upon between Instinct, Gravity and Twilio, the SMS service provider for Instinct hospitals to use as a Client Consent Template:
Opt in to SMS to pay by text: By [checking/selecting “accept”] [signing below], you consent to receive text messages from us. Message rates vary. Not all carriers are covered. Standard message and data rates apply. You may update your preference, and cancel your consent, by notifying us at any time or by replying CANCEL to any text message you receive from us.
Opt out to SMS to pay by text: Customers can unsubscribe from Text to Pay by replying ‘CANCEL’ to the Text/Link to Pay text message. When a customer unsubscribes, or ‘Opts Out’, from Text to Pay you will be unable to send any future Text/Link to Pay to that phone number.
If you receive the error shown below, indicating that the customers has unsubscribed, the Pending Transaction will need to be canceled by using the 3-dot menu.
*Note: This will only apply to that particular phone number. If a customer has multiple phone numbers on the account, they will need to unsubscribe each number from Text/Link to Pay.
🧠Test your knowledge with our Careville Quiz!