- Nothing ensures optimal staff efficiency and happiness as much as the investment in the devices they use to care for their patients.
- Instinct strongly recommends purchasing business-class computers, tablets, and peripherals.
- Always remember: the newest, strongest, and fastest devices (and internet) are the ideal choice when it comes to optimizing Instinct and staff performance.
- Instinct also recommends consulting an IT professional for items like server, network setup, local security, and other technology infrastructure maintenance. We’ll always be there to give guidance, but won’t be able to assist in troubleshooting the above.
Instinct is a cloud-based application and does not require an on-premise server.
Instinct is heavily reliant on real-time updating data and like any cloud-based application, requires strong/consistent internet for use. If you have internet speed/stability issues, please contact your IT professional.
Minimum Download/Upload Speeds
- Speed test internet (per device/hospital area): www.fast.com
- Small practice: aim for at least 10 Mbps
- Large practice: aim for at least 30 Mbps
Backup Internet Plan
At the hospital level, we strongly recommend creating a backup internet plan. Please consult and work with your IT professional for advice. We suggest considering the following options:
- Cellular hotspots
- Cellular-enabled laptops
- Dedicated routers with cellular redundancy (automatic switch) are fairly easy and inexpensive to set up
💡 ProTip: During outages, Instinct will automatically alert the user that connectivity is lost (and reconnect when available) as well as provide brief instructions for using a mobile phone as a hotspot in a pinch.
Mobile Device Guidelines
⚡️ Important Note for Instinct EMR Users: Instinct is compatible with DYMO and Zebra label printers but Chromebooks do not support the installation of applications, which means the DYMO/Zebra driver are unable to be installed on these devices. Since Chromebooks do not support the DYMO/Zebra driver, we recommend using other laptops/desktops for printing prescriptions.
- Most of our hospitals use Instinct strictly on laptop and desktop computers. If mobility is desired, several have followed the human hospital model and purchased inexpensive rolling carts for laptops.
- If tablets are preferred, Instinct currently supports use on Chromebook laptops/tablets or Windows touch-enabled laptop/tablet hybrids such as the Lenovo Yoga or Microsoft Surface. We recommend a minimum screen size of 12″ and please know that due to limitations on these devices, labels are unable to be printed from Chromebooks/tablets (see ‘Important Note’ above).
- Many devices are relatively inexpensive, contain keyboards (for converting to laptop), and are durable. When purchasing, the computer hardware specification instructions below should be followed.
- What about iPads or Phones? Instinct technically runs on any device with a Chrome Browser. However, iPads, mobile phones, and other Android tablets are not currently tested or supported. If you are going to use iPads, ensure you choose the ones with 12+ inch screen size.
💡 ProTip: Here is a handy article from our Pick The Brain series that shines light on Instinct and iPads in the veterinary practice: Veterinary Hospitals: To iPad or Not to iPad
Number of Computers
Every hospital varies in needs, but we have found the following to be an optimal starting point: roughly 1 computer station for every doctor on shift and 1.5 computers stations for every 2 nurses on shift.
Computer Operating Systems
Instinct is currently tested/optimized for use on devices with:
- Windows 7 or above (32 bit or 64 bit)
- Mac OS 10.10 or above
- Chrome OS (Chromebook)
Computer Processor and Specs
- Intel: Core i5 or i7 (Skylake / Gen 6 or more recent), 2+ cores recommended. Avoid Celeron, m3, m5, or i3 devices (Instinct will work but performance may suffer).
- AMD Desktop: Ryzen 5, 5 Pro or 7, series 2000 CPU or 3000 CPU/APU recommended (2500X, 3400G, 3500, or better). Avoid Ryzen 3, 1000 series CPU, 2000 series APU.
- AMD Laptop: Ryzen 5 or 7, series 3000 or 4000 (3500U, 4500U, or better). Avoid Ryzen 3 or 2000 series.
Additional Hardware Specs
- RAM: 8GB+ recommended
- Hard Drive: Instinct will use up to 1 GB of HD space, solid-state drive recommended
- Monitors: 12+ inches with full HD resolution recommended (1024×768 is minimum resolution supported)
- Label Printers: DYMO or Zebra brand
- Label Paper:
- DYMO LabelWriter Name Badge Labels (2 1/4″ x 4″, 57mm x 102mm) – Compatible with both Zebra and DYMO printers.
- DYMO LabelWriter Shipping Labels (2 1/8″ x 4″, 54mm x 102mm) – Compatible with DYMO printers only.
- DYMO LabelWriter Large Shipping Labels (2 5/16″ x 4″, 59mm x 102mm) – Compatible with DYMO printers only.
Thin-Client (Terminal) or Virtual Machine Workstations
Instinct can run on terminal and virtual machine workstations. Specifications will be heavily dependent on number of simultaneous users and concurrent applications. In general, we recommend over-investing in resources and understanding that testing and boosting resources later may be necessary. Please consult with your IT professional for further information.
TV Monitor Guidelines
TV monitors are optional, but most Instinct hospitals see greater staff efficiency with at least one TV for inpatients and one TV for outpatients.
- Type: Basic LED or LCD will do (no need for 4K/Touch/Curved/Smart or other features)
- Size: depends on patient load (most opt for 50+ inch)
- Resolution: Full HD 1920×1080 (“1080p”) recommended
- Mounting: We recommend hanging TVs vertically. Actual mounting hardware depends on size/location/model and often the TV you purchase has instructions. Contact your IT professional for further information.
- Connection: HDMI (hard wiring as second monitor) is most common (Instinct can be opened multiple times on the same computer). Mirroring/casting will work also. Contact your IT professional for further information.
Security, Firewalls, Peripherals
- Instinct applications access cloud-based servers using standard and secure HTTPS (SSL) connections.
- Your IT professional may need to allow port 443 (standard secure port).
- Instinct recommends high-quality security/antivirus software, but has no specific requirements for local setup. Please consult with your IT professional for further advice.
⚡️ Important Note: We recommend that you also allow the following URLs in your network to make sure that Instinct will work as expected: *.intercom.io ; *.instinctvet.io ; *.intercomcdn.com ; *.sentry.io ; *.instinctvet.cloud ; *.instinctshareville.vet ; *.chargeitpro.com ; *.emergepay.chargeitpro.com ; *.assets.emergepay.chargeitpro.com ; *.app.plumbs.com ; *use.typekit.net
For all items such as printers, Instinct recommends purchasing high-quality business-class devices only. Please consult your technology professional for more details.