Create, close, and take payment on invoices for products that are sold to clients in between visits such as food and prescriptions, without having to check the client in.
Table of Contents
To access the RX and Invoice options for any checked out patient, click the 3-dot menu next to the patient’s name when searching the Patient Registration in the Business Office, or the left navigation bar’s Look Up:
💲 Creating a Standalone Invoice
To create an invoice for a patient that is not currently checked in, navigate to the patient’s Invoice screen:
- Click + New Invoice at the top of the Invoices column
- Enter Reason for Invoice
- Select Provider
- Add Products or Product Groups to the Invoice
📓 Please Note: Only one Standalone Invoice can be open for any given patient at a time.
- Collect payment as you normally would in the Payments & Ledger screen
- Or Close the Invoice using the Close Invoice button
A Reopen Invoice button at the bottom of the Invoice will allow you to reopen and edit a Standalone Invoice for 24 hours after the invoice has been closed, if needed.
💡 Please Note: The Reopen Invoice button will only be visible to users that have the reopen_invoice permission assigned to one of their current user Roles.
To create or refill an RX for a patient that is not currently checked in, navigate to the patient’s RX panel:
- Search for and select a product to prescribe
- Complete the form and click Prescribe
- A PDF prescription label is generated
- A new Standalone Invoice is created with the prescription line item or the prescription line item is placed on the most recent open Invoice
- You will not be able to Edit/Void a prescription if the associated invoice is closed, however if it’s within 24 hours of closing and prescribing, you can reopen the invoice and Edit/Void.
If a patient has no prior Visit history in Instinct, you will not be able to start a Standalone Rx, and will have to check the patient in to the OTW Board.
💡 Important Note: If you utilize the RX panel for a non-billable written RX, Instinct will still create a $0 line item Standalone Invoice that will need to be closed.
💵 Financial Ledger
Navigate to the ledger for an account that has a patient with a Standalone Invoice:
- A new Invoice is created on the account ledger with the Reason for Invoice, and hovering over the Invoice will display who created the Standalone Invoice
You can also filter lines on the ledger by Visit Invoices (checked-in medical visits) and Invoices (checked-out standalone invoices/non-visits).
The following Analytic Reports display data from Standalone Invoices (non-visits):
Practice Summary Report
- Total Non-Visits – Total count of all non-visit invoices (excludes late fees)
- Total Visit Revenue Invoiced – includes amounts for all closed visit invoices
- Total Non-Visit Revenue Invoiced – includes amounts for all closed non-visit invoices
- Average Non-Visit – Total Non-Visit Revenue Invoiced divided by the Total Non-Visit Count
- Total by Species and Total by Breed – includes visit and non-visit invoice revenue. Count only includes visit invoices.