Instinct is designed to help supercharge a daily financial charge auditor’s workflow. After watching expert charge auditors at more than 100 advanced care centers, we put together the following handy guide!
3 Step Plan for Daily Auditing
1. First, start on the Invoice Screen.
The Invoice screen is meant as an audit tool for each patient. Most charge auditor’s start their day here for patients. Here’s what we recommend:
- Scan the entire invoice for missed charges and address them.
- Use the only “Show Missed Charges” toggle to hide any synced/downloaded/confirmed items and only show missed charges.
- Address any missed charges by confirming/entering on your main software invoice.
- Scan for any voided items and validate if they should be voided or not. Unvoid as needed using the 3-dot menu to the left of the orange triangle (missed charge flag).
💡 ProTip: check out our Missed Charges Guide to learn more about how charging works in Instinct!
2. Next, Scan the Treatment Sheet Hour-by-Hour
- To ensure nothing is missed, visit the treatment sheet and click the current hour at the top of the screen:
- You will now be looking at all the treatments completed with all the notes hour-by-hour starting with the current hour. Scroll to the very bottom and read all the notes looking for billable items that may have been missed.
- Then, use the arrows at the top of the screen to scroll through each treatment hour-by-hour backwards to efficiency scan all notes one hour at a time!:
3. Use the Order History for any Order to Research More
- For each order, you can see a complete history using the Order History. To access this, head to the Treatment Sheet and click the 3-dot menu to the left of any order on the Treatment Sheet and choose “Order History” to deep dive any treatments you have questions with. To learn more about reviewing Order History, click here.
- Revision history, such as tracking any changes are accessible here, as well as all the completed treatments for that order.
- You can also view who created, voided, or un-voided individual invoice line items using the 3-dot menu within the Invoice screen.
- You’ll then see the revision history below the line item.
💡 A few things to keep in mind:
- Using Pinning to keep track of the patients you have left to audit (showing how to pin/unpin as you finish).
- Split Screen with PIMS: minimize the Instinct window so you can pull up your PIMS and compare the Instinct invoice with your PIMS invoice side-by-side!
- Predicted Billing: predicted billing is calculated towards the lower left of the Treatment, Vitals, and Invoice screens and displays what the bill will be if this patient continues to stay in your hospital for 12, 24, 48 or 72 hours. This updates live based on what you have scheduled on the treatment sheet and will have the most up to date billing information at any given time. If you notice an abnormal monetary gap between days, this may mean the treatment sheet is not accurate.