Leading the Change to Instinct
Congratulations on being an Instinct Superuser! Your hospital has carefully selected you to assist the Instinct team for a successful go-live. We can’t wait to start working with you.
After 150+ successful Instinct go-lives, we have found that one of the best ways to make Instinct a success is by empowering individual leaders on the team. After reviewing either our training manuals/videos or viewing a demo with one of our team members, we ask that each of you share your list of questions or possible concerns. (If you don’t have any, that’s great!)
We will then set a time to meet with your hospital superusers to come up with a plan for how best to lead the change.You will be getting to know the Instinct support team a lot more over the next few weeks, and we’ll be available to answer any questions you have prior to the go-live.
We’ve outlined some helpful FAQs below:
What is a superuser?
- Superusers are team members at the hospital who have become familiar with Instinct in advance and are involved in additional training prior to go-live so they can lead their teams during implementation. Superusers also help answer workflow questions from team members, promoting a smooth transition to Instinct during and after go-live.
How many superusers should my hospital have?
- We typically recommend having 1 superuser assigned per shift or per service (especially for evening/overnight shifts) during go-live.
What’s the difference between a superuser and an admin user?
- Superusers are more of a “go-to” person and utilize additional training to lead the rest of your hospital staff. Superusers can provide insight on your practice’s workflow processes.
- Admin users are the few hospital leaders able to edit products and groups, manage team members, and perform additional admin-related tasks when it comes to setting up and maintaining Instinct. Admin users can also be superusers!
What are my responsibilities as a superuser during go-live?
- Be the positive voice helping to explain how awesome Instinct is!
- Be involved in coordinating demonstration times with your admin team during go-live so all team members are able to attend. We typically recommend scheduling 2-3 demonstrations per day for medical staff (1-hour sessions) and front desk staff (30-minute sessions).
- Assist your team in transitioning hospitalized patients from their current treatment sheet to Instinct. Encourage them to enter this information themselves as this is the best way to learn Instinct.
- Be easily available during go-live to help answer questions from your team.
- Act as a liaison and communicate any workflow challenges/questions to the Instinct team.
- Continue to lead your team and answer questions after go-live.
- Assist in training new staff members with Instinct.
- Develop an ‘Instinct Committee’ at your hospital and meet weekly/biweekly after go-live to address and communicate workflow changes since using Instinct.
Pre-Training Checklist for Superusers
- Understand how to explain the connection between Instinct and your practice software
- Understand how patients are checked into Instinct (Connected vs. Manual)
- Using the Filters and the importance of assigning Doctor, Ward, and Service for all patients
- Using the ‘Ready to Go’ and ‘Ready to Admit’ icons and how they will work best for your hospital
- Triage Tags and the different ways to use them effectively at your hospital
- How to move patients from board to board and when
- Understand how the exam and Hospitalization drop-down works and their charging frequency
- Using OP/IP Product Groups and specialty services
- Using Bulk Edit and bulk discontinue features
- Ordering medications and using our drug calculator and Plumb’s features
- How to order and update IV fluids, CRIs, and IVF Additive orders
- How to Edit Completed Treatments
- How to ‘Not Complete’ a treatment and reschedule
- Using the ‘Assign to me’ icon
- What the Invoice icons mean
- How special fees/timed fees work with Automatic Charges
- How charges work for unconnected vs. connected hospitals
- How charges get to the Instinct invoice
Helpful Training Tools
- Careville: Careville is our online help desk, where you can find user guides, training videos, and tips for becoming an Instinct pro—fast.
- Hardware and Technology Guidelines
- Medical and Workflow Guidelines
- Virtual Go-Live Guidelines
- On-Site Go-Live Guidelines
💡 ProTip: For more information about what it takes to be a Superuser, check out this awesome Pick The Brain article: Meet the Superuser: Our #1 Tip for Adopting New Veterinary Software